In this episode I caught up with Angel Rivera at the 2019 VNCA conference in Brisbane. Angel is a veterinary technician specialist (VTS) in the field of emergency and critical care (ECC). As an internationally recognised speaker he lectures to vets, veterinary nurses, veterinary technicians, and has been published in journals, text books and research abstracts.
Angel has worked as a veterinary technician, Director of Nursing, Nursing Education Coordinator, Medical Director, Hospital Administrator, and currently works as a consultant advising on the training of emergency and critical care nursing concepts, protocols and procedures. In 2018 he was awarded a Steve Haskins Memorial Scholarship for his contribution to the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society.
Angel has been extremely supportive of the development of veterinary nursing in Australia and has enjoyed a 25 year friendship with the Aussie nurses. It was extremely emotional having him open the conference on the official launch day of the AVNAT scheme, and it was my absolute pleasure to join Angel’s ever-expanding gang of Aussie vet nurse friends.
Angel listens to these podcasts:
Angel recommends these books:
· The hidden power of kindness: by the Reverend Lawrence G. Lovasik.
· The Shack by Wm. Paul Young.
· Samll Miracles: Extraordinary Coincidence from every day.
· Yitta Halberstam and Judith Leventhal.
· Squirrel seeks Chipmunk: by David Sedaris.
We also discussed:
· AliveCor portable EKG machine
· Loom free screen recording software
For 24 hour crisis support call:
· In Australia - Lifeline on 13 11 44
· In the United States - the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline on 1800 273 8255
· In the UK - the Vetlife Helpline on 0303 040 2551.